[Originally published on the Australian Government Public Sector Innovation Network under a Creative Commons 3.0 BY AU licence]
The public service has undergone a significant amount of change, with more likely to come. What do we dream the public sector should be? What will we dare, and do, to make it so?
Click here for the Innovation M0nth 2015 programme.
We recently asked you for a theme for Innovation Month 2015 (3-31 July), and we had some great contributions. A big thank you goes to network member Jean for suggesting ‘Dream, Dare, Do’ which, after discussion with the organising committee, has been decided upon as the theme for 2015.
There was agreement that the theme captures something about where the innovation journey for the public service is at, as well as providing a nice lens for guiding/organising this year’s events and activities.
- Dream – we need to think about what is possible, and how new ideas and developments might affect the public service of the future. Dreaming can help connect the seemingly distant technologies and concepts with what we do day to day. In other words, we need to dream about what the public service of the future needs to be and how we can get there
- Dare – innovation involves risk and uncertainty, which means that something may go wrong or it might fail. Innovation, then, requires courage. If we are going to innovate, then we need to dare to do things differently
- Do – innovation doesn’t mean anything unless it means that ideas are put into practice. The biggest part of innovation is the doing. We need to do, not just discuss and consider.
You can find out more about Innovation Month 2015 on the landing page. We’ll be providing some details about the key events over the next couple of months.
If you would like to get involved, please get in contact. As an example, involvement could be one of the following:
- Contributing to the possible event and activity ideas for the month
- Participating in or helping support one of the planned headline events
- Helping put together an event in your organisation
- Being a part of the overall organising committee for Innovation Month 2015
- For those outside of Canberra, helping organise/pull together events in your region.
Innovation Month is a wonderful opportunity to connect good ideas with great people. So make the most of it – and think what you can ‘Dream, Dare, Do’ to help make a better public sector!